Wednesday, May 31, 2006

one more thing I'm not going to be

aka a scientist.

it's boring as hell.

plus you have to actally keep a log book.

gross.

so my entire day was spent purifying less than 8 grams of protein.

so what I did yesterday was prepare for today. actually, I don't really know what I did yesterday except that it took a lot of running up and down stairs and lots of tiny amounts of stuff. and a protein gel.

so today I started with some solution of cells. minus the plasma membrane. so I guess I had one big cell. but without a plasma membrane. so actually I have no idea what I had. so first you add in some solution called PEI ( have no idea what it is or what it does.... I think she told me it precipitates the lipids out), then stir it for 1 hour, then add in ammonium sulfate (to precipitate something out.... forgot what. maybe this was the lipid.), then stir the mixture for 40min-1 hour, then balance, then centrifuge for 30 min, keep the supernatant and throw away the pellet, then add in more ammonium sulfate, then stir for 50 min, then centrifuge for 1 hour, and then throw away the supernatant and the pellet's the protein you want.

and in between all that while I was waiting for the damn centifuge I had to clean. =( it was a really dirty lab.

and I swear no one talks in that place. okay, there's not much to talk about.

but I did finish cat's cradle.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chuan said...

bleh, and i get to get stuck with 8 weeks of solid biology stuff... joy

when my friends get to mess with all kinds of crap like explosives -__-

EXPLOSIVES... boo

hopefully it's not as interesting as it sounds

at least you can experiment with... different... cleaning techniques? 0_o

10:27 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

wow explosives...

love love love. omg you know the weirdest thing that happened to me. i was hearing "love, love, love" in my head. and i was like WHERE IS THAT FROM???

and then. i remembered that i wanted to dl the songs ryan sang at mr. plano. and i found out they were both beatles songs. and so i limewired beatles. and downloaded like the first 5 songs that came up. and then one of them was "all you need is love." and i listened to it and i was like HOLY CRAP. and then i was like...how do i even know this song. and then the trumpet part started and i was like oh yeah, love actually! that sure was some odd twist of cosmic fate.

3:09 AM  
Blogger Chuan said...

holy crap those are lyrics from a backstreet boys song -___- wtf

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home